James Young was recently recognized as a 2016 Rising Star of the Profession by Consulting Magazine for his excellence in information technology.
- Favorite quotes“The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them.” —Albert Einstein
- What attracted you to Slalom?At that point in my career, I didn’t think I wanted to stay in consulting as I had just moved to San Francisco and wanted to experience the city. Slalom reached out to me and I came in to meet a few great people that were genuine, inspiring, and passionate about building this so-called local consulting company. While it sounded a bit crazy at the time, I decided to take a chance on Slalom and couldn’t be happier that I did. I should note, it also helped that a few of the people I met had grown up in the Midwest, which being from Michigan made me feel at home.
- ExperienceI joined Slalom on St. Patrick’s Day in 2008. Prior to Slalom, I worked for Accenture in their Salesforce practice and interned at NASA Ames Research Center for a few summers.
- What makes a great consultant?It’s hard to pick just a few traits of what it takes to be a great consultant, as I think it’s a pretty long list – here’s some that come to mind: being resourceful, proactive, decisive, entrepreneurial, thoughtful, flexible, articulate, empathetic, relevant, positive, and a great storyteller.
- What were your first jobs?I’ve had a job since I was fourteen years old – started with a newspaper route, followed by Arby’s, Pizza Hut, Gym Attendant, Lifeguard, Warehouse Worker, and Furniture Designer.