Practice Area Lead
Practice Area Lead
- What is your hometown(s) (at birth and now)?I was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Lots of mid-western influence in my ideals and values. I lived in a number of different places growing up, including Oklahoma, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Puerto Rico, and Colorado. Went to high school in Las Vegas. Moved out to Southern California for college and stayed for the most part, except for a couple years in Austin, Texas and a couple in Japan. Now live in Laguna Hills, CA.
- What was your last job previous to joining Slalom and what did you love about it?Worked for 15 years at Hitachi Consulting. Back in the day Hitachi was kind of like Slalom with a local model and a cool culture. In Southern California we had a tight knit team doing lots of interesting work for our clients, including one project where I moved and spent 1½ years in Japan. It was a blast growing the market. Hitachi went to a national model and grew thru a number of major acquisitions that diffused the culture and camaraderie and made things less interesting and a lot less fun. Some of the most inspirational and creative Hitachi folks went over to Slalom, which is what attracted me here initially.
- What are your Top 5 Interests/Hobbies/Activities?#5 History – Have always loved history…from the birth of America, to the Civil War, to what is going on with ISIS right now. It is very interesting to me how and why individuals and groups of people acted and reacted the way they did and how that shaped the world they lived in and the world we live in today.
#4 Travel – Maybe it is my wanderlust from growing up all over the place. I enjoy seeing and experiencing new places, people, and cultures.
#3 Joking Around – Not that I do not take things seriously, I do. However, I look for the fun and humor even in stressful situations. Life is too short to be to be super serious or dour. Likely got that trait from my dad, as that was how he approached life thru both good and tough times.
#2 Sports – Both playing and watching. Love playing all kinds of sports – whether they be super competitive or just for fun. Basketball, in particular, was an activity I did just about every day of my youth. I still play today, just not as much (or as well). USC Trojan football is a source of unreasonably high highs and low lows for me depending on if they win, lose, or have some assorted shenanigans going on.
#1 Family – Like for a lot of folks, this is my #1. Whenever I can mix one or more of activities #2-5 into doing something with my wife and two kids, those are the best days of my life.
- What do you want to do/accomplish next at Slalom?I want to grow a team of Project/Program Managers, Analysts, Solution Owners, and Strategists who are the go-to team in our market when it comes to solving the thorniest problems and delivering on the most challenging programs/projects that our clients face. We are coining this coming year in our market as the Year of Delivering and that pretty much sums up what I want to accomplish with my team:
• Delivering opportunities for leadership, career growth, and meaningful work for my people
• Delivering significant value for our clients
• Delivering positive impacts within our community