Practice Area Lead
Practice Area Lead
- Favorite quote“We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”—Mother Teresa
- What attracted you to Slalom?Everyone I met during the interview process (and post joining Slalom) have been genuine people of passion and integrity. Lots of firms do interesting work, but the best thing about Slalom are the team members you work with.
- ExperiencePractice Area Lead, Organizational Effectiveness — Slalom Consulting. Los Angeles, CA. August 2015 – present
Principal, Global People & Change Practice — North Highland. Los Angeles, CA. February 2013 – August 2015
Senior Manager, Global Organizational Transformation and Strategy Practice — Hitachi Consulting. Los Angeles, CA. September 2005 – February 2013
Senior Consultant, Global Organizational Change Management Practice — Accenture. El Segundo, CA & Reston, VA. September 2001 – September 2005
- What makes a great consultant?Passion, persistence, and positive attitude
- What’s your favorite part of your job?Helping client figure out how to love what they do again
- How did you end up with a career in consulting?Accidentally. I interviewed with Anderson Consulting as a “practice interview” in grad school, got a bit intrigued, then realized that I could make a living helping organizations get better at how they deliver goods and services. Once the pieces connected, I decided to move into consulting instead of the industry I was intending to pursue (marketing).
- What’s the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever gotten?Go with your gut and follow your passion
- What was your first job?Paperboy in Westminster, CA (my hometown), starting when I was about 9 years old. My territory was the neighborhood surrounding my elementary school, so many of my customers were my classmate’s parents. I learned how to build a business, manage a budget, and operational efficiencies. I was destined for consulting!
- People would be surprised to hear that I worked as...Director of Admissions for an MBA program for one year
- I have lived/worked in the following citiesGarden Grove, CA; Westminster, CA; Fountain Valley, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Yokohama, Japan; Washington, DC; Hermosa Beach, CA; Seattle, WA; San Jose, CA
- EducationBachelor of Arts, UCLA – Majored in Political Science, Minored in Asian-American Studies and Education
Master of Business Administration, The George Washington University – Concentration in International Business and Marketing
- CharitiesI serve on the Victory Campaign Board of the Victory Fund, which is a national non-partisan non-profit that seeks to change the face and voice of America’s politics and achieve equality for LGBT Americans by increasing the number of openly LGBT officials at all levels of government.
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti appointed me to the City of Los Angeles Innovation and Performance Commission (innovate.lacity.com), which I have been President of since June 2014. We advise the city departments on technology and process innovation, as well as performance measurement tools and standards. I also chair the city’s $1.5M Innovation Fund, which funds micro-grants for pilot programs to test innovative concepts.
- My fiancé Alex and I are guardians to four kids, so we spend a lot of time with the kids on things like homework and exploring the city.
- My passion and dedication for UCLA is sort of epic. I’ve been on some sort of alumni board since 1996, though I am semi-retired from that now and mostly just help with strategic planning efforts for alumni networks across the country.