- What attracted you to Slalom?The opportunity to define the consulting practice in Toronto with some of the best leaders I know.
- ExperienceI started my career with a large multinational technology company working on compiler and web application development – pretty techie stuff. From there I ventured into consulting to satisfy my curiosity around how to best use technology to fuel businesses. Just prior to joining Slalom, I spent a couple of years at an electric utility company in Toronto working on Smart Meter enablement.
- What makes a great consultant?“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”—Niels Bohr, Danish physicist and Nobel Prize winner
I believe a great consultant comes up with the best way to use these “experts” to accelerate value delivery to clients.
- What’s your favorite part of your job?Working with energetic and passionate Slalom leaders that truly understand people are our biggest asset.
- How did you end up with a career in consulting?It was a natural progression from pretty hardcore software development into helping businesses with technology. I love thinking about how to solve business problems across a wide range of industries.
- What was your first job?I was a Peking duck carver at Buffet King (a very popular Chinese buffet restaurant in the 90’s). I was hired to meet the holiday season demand and was “relieved” of my duties shortly after. I guess I wasn’t cut out to be a Peking duck carver!
- People would be surprised to hear that I worked as...A door-to-door sales person for a large Toronto news organization. I sold close to nothing in the frigid Canadian winter. It’s the worst job I’ve ever had.
- I have lived/worked in the following cities:I was born in New Jersey, USA while my parents were visiting family. Returned to Taipei, Taiwan where I was raised. My family immigrated to Toronto back in the 90’s and I now spend my time with my wife in Markham.
I also lived in Hyderabad, India and Busan, South Korea for a little while to study business and explore Asia.
- I speak the following languages:English, Mandarin, Taiwanese
- HobbiesI love to travel. TripAdvisor tells me that I’m a Top 15% Contributor from Toronto.